Report Crime Online Emergency Call 999

Whittlesey and District Neighbourhood Watch

Whittlesey and District Neighbourhood Watch

Creating safer, stronger and active communities

Warning about Xylitol

Ollie, a four-year-old English Springer Spaniel, ate gum containing xylitol at his home in Stretham, Cambridgeshire. He ate about 10 tabs of chewing gum containing Xylitol.

Ollie was taken to the vet very quickly as an emergency and was very lucky to survive.

Xylitol is being used in an increasing range of foods as an artificial sweetner. Xylitol can kill a dog!

Please check food labels carefully and if your dog eats food containing Xylitol seek vetinary advice.

 

Xylitol is an artificial sweetner found in many fruits and vegetables and produced in small amounts by the human body.

It can be produced on a large scale by industrial processing of plants containing Xylin for instance, corn cobs.

It all sounds safe but to dogs even small amounts of Xylitol can prove fatal.

Xylitol lowers dogs' blood sugar levels which can lead to liver failure and death if not treated quickly.

The toxicity depends on how much has been ingested in relation to the animal's weight.

As an example, to kill a 100 gram rat, you need only to get the rat to consume, 1.65 grams of xylitol.

A typical xylitol piece of gum contains .7 – 1 gram of xylitol. About half the amount needed to kill a rat.

 

Other things that can poison your dog

 

  • Chocolate
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Grapes
  • Sultanas and raisins
  • Onions
  • Flower bulbs, including daffodil and crocus